Engage your mind each day
Here are some top tips to stay Mindful throughout the day:
- Labelling. When you realize you are looping with negative thoughts, try labeling what arises. “There is anger here”, “There is tiredness here” “Boredom” “Impatience”. This tells the alarm system to stand down.
-Take in the good. We have a natural negativity bias, so take a moment to seek out the simple pleasures of life, to absorb a “good” moment.
- Chose to have calm moments. Our imaginations can’t tell difference between real danger and imagined danger. TV, books, internet can all get you back into Fight and Flight mode.
- Reminders. Try post it notes around the house and around the classroom to remind yourself to breath and be in the moment.
- Gratitude. Bookend each day, morning and night with a moment of appreciation of what was good that day, helping to bring a more balanced picture. Try a gratitude circle with the students or colleagues.
- Take a moment to conciously eat, shower, brush your teeth, walk mindfully. And when the mind wanders- which it will- practice being kind to yourself, then bring yourself back to the moment once again.
- Look up and smile
- Give yourself a hug! It makes the Oxytocin flow.